Frequently Asked Questions


Who can apply for licensure in Arizona?
Dentists and Dental Hygienists who have graduated from an ADA accredited school of dentistry or dental hygiene, successfully passed the National Dental or Dental Hygiene Board examination and the Western Regional Examining Board examination within the last five years may apply for Licensure by Examination.

Dentists and Dental Hygienists who have graduated from an ADA accredited school of dentistry or dental hygiene, successfully passed the National Dental or Dental Hygiene Board examination and a Board approved clinical examination of another state or region may apply for Licensure by Credential.

Denturists who have graduated for a recognized denturist school may apply for certification.

Further details on the requirements for licensure may be found under Forms and Applications.

Does Arizona grant licensure to internationally trained dentists?
No.  In order to obtain licensure in Arizona, a dentist must graduate from an ADA accredited program and receive a diploma conferring a degree of DDS or DMD.

Does Arizona grant licensure by reciprocity?
No.  The Arizona State Dental Board may grant licensure by credential to applicants who have successfully completed a clinical examination that is found by the Board to be substantially equivalent to the Western Regional Examining Board examination.

What are the licensure fees?
All applicants for licensure pay an initial pro-rated license fee.  Dentists pay $110.00 and Dental Hygienists pay $55.00 for licensure through the next June 30. 

The fee for the Arizona Dental Jurisprudence Examination is $300 for Dentists and $100 for Dental Hygienists.

Dental applicants for licensure by credential pay an additional $2,000 fee and Dental Hygienists pay an additional $1000 fee.

Does Arizona have an Inactive license status?
No.  In order to maintain licensure individuals must complete the required number of continuing education hours and pay the appropriate renewal fees on or before every third June 30.

Dentists who have completely withdrawn from practice of dentistry, Dental Hygienists and Denturists who are 65 years or older may apply for a retired license.  Dentists must relinquish their DEA Registration.  Continuing education requirements are reduced and the triennial renewal fee is $15.  Licensees with a medical disability who have completely withdraw from practice may apply for a disabled license with the triennial fee of $15.  A retired or disabled licensee may still perform volunteer services in Board approved charitable organizations.

How do I renew my license?
As a courtesy to all licensees, approximately three months before the due date, a renewal application is mailed to the licensee’s primary mailing address on record with the Board. 

On or before the due date (which is always June 30), the licensee must complete the Renewal Application form, Continuing Education Affidavit, Arizona Statement of Citizenship or Alien Status; and return each document along with a copy of their current healthcare provider CPR, ACLS or PALS.

As a licensee, what type of information am I required to report to the Board?
The law requires that licensees provide the Board with a current primary mailing address and that dentists provide the address of each practice location.  Licensees must inform the Board in writing within 10 days of a change to either the primary mailing address or any practice location.

Licensees are also required to report to the Board in writing if they are charged with or arrested for any conduct that could affect their ability to practice or the safety of their patients.

Dentists are required to report any adverse occurrence that takes place within their office which results in a patient’s death; temporary or permanent physical or mental injury or the need for emergency medical intervention.

Dentists are required to report any theft or loss of controlled substances to the Board of Dental Examiners, the Drug Enforcement Agency and local law enforcement.


Who can file a complaint?
Anyone can file a complaint against a licensed dentist, dental hygienist or denturist and there is a six year statute of limitation on filing a complaint.  In addition, the Board may open investigations against licensees.

How can I file a complaint?
The Dental Practice Act requires the Board to investigate all written complaints, even if they are submitted anonymously.  Individuals may download a copy of the complaint form from this site under Consumer Information or may call the Dental Board at (602) 242-1492.  The complaint form may be mailed or faxed to the Board office.


How do I obtain public information from the Board?
Upon receipt of a written request and payment of the applicable fee for public information, Board staff can prepare the documents for mailing or to be picked up Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.

What types of public information can be obtained from the Board?
In addition to what is available on this site, written verification of an individual’s license status may be obtained.  This information includes the licensee’s name and address; license status; date the license was issued, information on complaints that have resulted in discipline and complaints resulting in issuance of non-disciplinary letters of concern or non-disciplinary continuing education within the last five years.  Dismissed, terminated and pending complaints are not available to the public. 

What is the fee for public information?
License verifications requested for commercial purposes are $5.00 per verification.  For personal use, the fee is $25.00 per verification.

The charge for copies of specific documents, such as agenda and minutes is 25 cents per page.

For further information, please see the Fee Schedule under Fees.


How may I obtain copies of my dental records?
The law requires that within 15 days of a patient’s written request, the dentist, dental hygienist, denturist or business entity provide a COPY of the entire patient record.  The original records belong to the licensee and a reasonable fee may be charged to the patient for the copies.

Who owns a patient’s dental records?
Dental records are the property of the dentist.


What is the difference between a DDS and a DMD?
The American Dental Association explains on their website DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery) and DMD (Doctor of Dental Medicine) are the same degrees. The difference is a matter of semantics. The majority of dental schools award the DDS degree; however, some award a DMD degree. The education and degrees are the same.